The House of Lords

Go down

The House of Lords

Post by Guerrilla Radio on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:36 pm

Does anyone feel it is an abomination that we, in a democratic country, still have an unelected house upper class, rich land-owners with the power to veto government bills (three times at least)? I realise the point of them is to stop governments getting out of control, but there are other ways of achieving this. I honestly think it's high time we ousted the Lords. A democratic country should be run by democratically elected officials, and shouldn't have a class of people we have no say about being able to impose their will Evil or Very Mad
Guerrilla Radio
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Re: The House of Lords

Post by 1916 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:46 pm

I do agree with that comment, it's a disgrace that someone can obtain the right to become a "Lord" by birth, that's a fatal flaw in what is supposed to be called "democracy". I don't see the how these "Lords" benefit society anyway, if a government is out of control it's inevitable, the "Lords" can't prevent it in all seriousness. But also, they haven't got anywhere near as much say as they did in the past, really they don't have any say, it's more the wage and priveleges they obtain for being a "Lord" that outrages me. When Ireland first asked to get "Home Rule" instated, it was the "House Of Lords" who prevented it from happening, it was and is unfair because the "House Of Lords" is dominated by Unionists.
The General
The General

http://failuretocommunicate.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Justinian on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 pm

I agree. The problem with making changes to The Constitutional Monarchy is that it is the system embedded in the British psyche. People are just used to having it around, and aren't bothered with questioning it.
Justinian
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Guerrilla Radio on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:52 pm

Sadly you are correct. Which is where I come in...although in a very small way, I'm dedicated to waking us up as a nation.

As Zack De la rocha said: WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO WAKE YOU UP?

The lords are the first obstacle to a more forward thinking government. they will make life difficult for any government truly wanting reform, so they must go. I'm pretty sure that the parliamentary reform acts in the 19th century were only passed because the House of Commons passed them three times; the Lords vetoed them every time.
Guerrilla Radio
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Justinian on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 am

For a true democracy to be established in Britain, the Lords simply have to go. The obvious way to do this would be to put a vote on the issue to the people, the only problem with this would be where to stop. If one abolishes the Lords, then by the same logic the Monarcy must be disestablished. This, I believe, would not be popular among any class of Britons. I mean, how popular are the Royals in reality?
Justinian
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by 1916 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:01 am

The "Royal Family" is definately an old fashioned institution which no longer has any relevance in society today. They bring no benefit to the United Kingdom at all and I'm sure that most citizens are unhappy at having to pay taxes to the "Royal" establishment. Frankly, all they do is roam form area to area in the most lavish of style, courtesy of the taxpayer.
The General
The General

http://failuretocommunicate.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guerrilla Radio on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:17 am

Well the Royal family do bring us a lot of money in tourism. However, if you live in a society with no money, you don't need tourism. Or a royal family.
Guerrilla Radio
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by Jordan123 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:22 am

Justinian wrote:For a true democracy to be established in Britain, the Lords simply have to go. The obvious way to do this would be to put a vote on the issue to the people, the only problem with this would be where to stop. If one abolishes the Lords, then by the same logic the Monarcy must be disestablished. This, I believe, would not be popular among any class of Britons. I mean, how popular are the Royals in reality?
The royal family aren't really popular with anyone, well apart from the older generations. Out of the people I know, the majority would rather not have a monarchy. The only people who want them are the ones who go on holiday to places like Spain wearing Union Flag shorts and murder the native language.
Jordan123
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post by chez on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:52 am

Revolution is a concept we cannot grasp but desperately need to reform properly.
chez

Back to top Go down

Post by Guerrilla Radio on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 pm

chez wrote:Revolution is a concept we cannot grasp but desperately need to reform properly.

Like Che Guevara says: we can't sit around and wait for the conditions to be right for revolution, we have to create them.

But I struggle to see how we can create them in a country like Britain Suspect
Guerrilla Radio
Commander
Commander

Back to top Go down

Post by chez on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:05 am

that's sorta my point this isn't a culture that ever would revolt to the same degree many countries have done it for less but this one never will since it's profited from capitalism almost as much as the Americans.
chez

Back to top Go down

Post by ronws on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:16 am

Interesting points. As for revolution, the states were once british colonies in the New World. And the revolutionaries were, in fact, british citizens and descendants of british citizens. They simply had enough of the taxation without representation. Cross-threading, so to speak, I wonder how many britons were truly for England trying to rule the rest of what we call the UK. Some irish were not all that happy with it and their struggles got the most press but not enough was said of Wales and Scotland. Or how residents of Great Britain proper felt about it.
ronws

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down